A degree in Communication Studies (CMST) from Loyola Marymount University provides students with the opportunity to develop essential skills (Writing, Oral Communication, Critical Thinking, and Teamwork) that are in high demand in today's challenging and ever-changing world.
Our program rigorously engages the following:
- The production and evaluation of communication messages.
- The role of communication in shaping the performance of identity and community.
- The processes and technologies by which people relate to and collaborate with each other.
- The importance of principled advocacy across our personal, professional and public lives.
CMST students take a variety of courses that allow for both depth and breadth of study. We feature a rigorous Internship Practicum course for our Juniors and Seniors. CMST students often pursue minors in fields such as business, journalism, political science, or the arts, to complement their CMST coursework.
With careful academic planning, CMST graduates are prepared for a variety of entry-level positions emphasizing both internal and external communication management across corporate, nonprofit, and/or public fields.
Below are a few of those fields:
- Campaign Strategy
- Corporate and Non-profit Communication
- Social Media Management
- Training and Development
- Human Resources
- Public Relations & Advertising
- Human Resources
- Public Relations, Advertising, Sales, & Marketing
Our graduates often successfully pursue additional education, including advanced degrees, in a variety of academic fields. These fields include:
- Communication Studies and related fields
- Mediation/Conflict Resolution
- Media Studies
This course enables students to gain practical experience in a communication-related field in preparation for obtaining a position after graduation. The course also covers resume and cover-letter construction, interviewing, interpersonal skills development, digital resume review, electronic business writing, exploring career interests, and presentation skills.
The Office of Career & Professional Development (CPD), located in Von der Ahe 135, provides a wide range of career counseling services, information on internships and employment opportunities. Contact CPD for more information.