We value the education of the whole person and the importance of academic excellence. Due to the impacted nature of the department, we invite applications from current LMU students who wish to make CMST your first or second major in Spring 2018. The next application deadline will be Friday, September 15, 2017.
To make CMST your 1st or 2nd major, you are required to complete an application process as follows:
- Meet the deadline: September 15, 2017 by 5:00 p.m. (we will not consider incomplete or late applications). Download your CMST Internal Transfer Application Packet - Spring 2018
- Maintain a minimum GPA of 3.0 (though a GPA of 3.5 or higher is preferred).
- Write a personal statement of purpose (double spaced and not exceeding 3 pages) to demonstrate the applicant's academic qualification and overall "fit" for the mission and goals of the CMST program.
- Provide two original and signed letters of recommendation.
- Submit a copy of your most current CAPP report.
- Submit items 1-5 in a folder to Ms. Lisa Tanaka (Lugo) at Foley 340 during regular business hours.
The Department's Curriculum Committee and the Department Chair will review all completed applications (including LMU CAPP report, statement of purpose and letters of recommendation) with care. Honoring an organic weighing principle, we will consider all indicators of academic excellence, preparedness and the overall "fit" with what our program has to offer. Applicants will be informed of our decisions within 3 - 4 weeks after the September 15, 2017 deadline.
Please direct all of your questions to the Department Chair, Dr. Michele Hammers (email@example.com) and Senior Administrative Coordinator, Ms. Lisa Tanaka (Lugo) (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Note - There are some important things that you must keep in mind when deciding whether to apply to transfer into the CMST major:
- The CMST major requires a minimum of 4 semesters (Not continuing summer sessions) in residence at LMU. We do not offer our required courses over the summer and Study Abroad programs have few, if any, courses that count toward our major.
- We expect you to be in residence at LMU (e.g., NOT Abroad) during your first semester with the major (Fall 2017). Any plans to go abroad must be discussed (if accepted in the major) with your CMST advisor.
- CMST courses are offered across all 5 days of the week and across all hours of the day. We do not provide capacity overrides to accommodate internship or work schedules. This may be different than the practices in other majors-but it is expected, in CMST, that you take classes 5 days a week. In addition, you should expect to take some 8:00 a.m. classes while in the major.
- The CMST major is sequenced, with a series of pre-requisites guiding progression through the major. Exception will not be made in order to allow for Study Abroad, external scheduling commitments, or early registration.
These expectations are in place in order to ensure that if your application is approved, your transition into the major goes smoothly and that you are successful.
Thank you for your interest in our department!