Audition Information Page
While LMU Dance is currently a modern/contemporary-centered department, we welcome students from a diversity of dance backgrounds and training. Regardless of the style or technique you choose to send us, we will be evaluating you based on similar criteria: coordination, strength, musicality and/or phrasing, and performance quality.
Due to COVID-19, all applicants for Fall 2021 acceptance will be required to submit a video audition only. In-person auditions are being suspended until further notice. Please note that dance minors do not need to audition.
The LMU Dance Audition Process has changed as of January 12, 2021. If you have already submitted your materials, this change will not affect you. If you have any questions, please email email@example.com.
LMU Dance Audition Process
Step 1: Apply to Loyola Marymount University. (link to LMU application)
Step 2: Complete all three forms. (Fall 2020 Audition Forms)
Step 3: Submit a headshot and goals statement.
Your goals statement is a brief document in paragraph or bullet point format which should include:
- Your career goals
- Where you feel you want/need to grow and develop as a dancer (performer, choreographer, teacher, etc)
Step 4: Record your video.
(Note: We no longer accept DVDs or USB drives. Please see below for submission instructions.)
Please submit at least one of the following:
A video of yourself doing center studio work in whichever technique you feel most comfortable in (e.g. modern/contemporary, jazz, hip hop, ballet, urban vernacular or street styles, tap, west African, etc.)
- You may include more than one technique if you feel you have proficiency in multiple techniques that you would like display.
- If you are auditioning with improvisation, freestyle, or original choreography, please clearly indicate that on the file name or title of video.
- The recording does not have to be made in a studio, just please try to have as clean a dance area and background as you can
A video excerpt from a recent (within in last 2 years) performance.
- If you are only sending in a performance excerpt and not center studio work, the excerpt should be at least 2-3 minutes where you can be seen dancing fully and clearly. If it is an ensemble dance, indicate your costume and location so we can easily find you.
- If you are sending in a performance excerpt and center studio work, the performance excerpt should be at least 1 minute where you can be seen dancing fully and clearly.
Step 5: We will contact you to schedule a phone interview with the department chair once we have received your audition materials.
Audition Submission Instructions:
Prospective students should submit all audition forms and videos through their Application Status Page (NOTE: You will only have access to this portal once you submit your LMU application). Please find the “Portfolio” section toward the bottom of the page and click “Edit Portfolio.” Then upload your materials under the “Upload Media” tab.
Virtual Campus Tours: https://admission.lmu.edu/visit/
General Admissions Questions: firstname.lastname@example.org
Financial Aid: email@example.com or visit https://financialaid.lmu.edu/
Scholarships: Departmental scholarships are available to existing LMU dance students, after they have successfully completed their first semester, and on a very selective basis.
For any further questions, please contact our Senior Administrative Coordinator:
Senior Administrative Coordinator