The deadline for complete applications for Fall 2018 is Friday, December 1, 2017. Please check this website regularly for possible changes to Fall 2018 requirements.
Admissions Requirements for Fall 2018
Note: Complete applications are reviewed first. A complete application includes all art and psychology pre-requisites documented on transcripts, a Bachelor's degree documented on a transcript, prerequisite checklist form, test score, autobiography, portfolio with thumbnail list and statement, letters of recommendation, and online video interview. (See below for details.)
Prerequisites in Art
A minimum of eighteen (18) semester hour credits (or twenty-seven  quarter-hour credits) of study in studio art which demonstrates proficiency and disciplined commitment in art making. It is imperative that the applicant evidence a range of experience using a variety of art materials and processes. The art prerequisites are not named, but they must be studio art courses that involve art-making and have course prefixes that indicate they are art-making courses. Art history, art appreciation and any other non-art-making courses are not considered studio art and will not be counted as a prerequisite. An official transcript documenting this must be sent to Graduate Admissions. (Electronic transcript must be emailed to Graduate Admissions, not the department. The email address to use for electronic transcripts is email@example.com.)
Prerequisites in Psychology
A minimum of twelve (12) semester hour credits (or eighteen  quarter-hour credits) of study in psychology, which must include developmental psychology (child, adolescent, or lifespan) and abnormal psychology. Please send a course description for review if the prefix of the psychology course does not start with PSYCH, PSYC, PSY. An official transcript documenting this must be sent to Graduate Admissions. (Electronic transcript must be emailed to Graduate Admissions, not the department. The email address to use for electronic transcripts is firstname.lastname@example.org.)
Other Admissions Requirements
- Bachelor's Degree: A bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university is required. Priority review is given to applications with complete a bachelor's degree posted prior to applying to the program. An official transcript documenting this must be sent to Graduate Admissions. (Electronic transcript must be emailed to Graduate Admissions, not the department. The email address to use for electronic transcripts is email@example.com.)
- Testing: GRE scores or a satisfactory score of 396 on the Miller Analogies Test. We recommend all applicants take one of these exams prior to applying to ensure a complete application. Official test scores must be sent to Graduate Admissions.
- Letters of Recommendation: Two (2) letters of recommendation are required. Letters should focus on relevant professional, volunteer and/or mental health experience. When filling out the online application, you will need to provide the names and email addresses of your recommenders. The recommenders will then receive an automated email prompting them with instructions on how to submit an electronic letter on your behalf. To ensure that your letters of recommendation are received by the deadline, please initiate this process early enough to allow your recommenders to submit the letters on time. If your recommenders are not able to submit letters electronically, they may submit paper letters, but the letters must be accompanied by this Letter of Recommendation Cover Form.
- Prerequisite Checklist. Download and fill out the checklist. (Please abbreviate the term dates to fit the box; for example, "Sp15", "Su15," "F15". Then, using the following format as a file name, "LastName FirstName Checklist", email it to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Autobiography: Ten to fifteen page autobiography with emphasis on personal life experiences and pivotal points making reference to psychological content. Using the following format as a file name, "LastName FirstName Bio, please email this file as a PDF or Word doc to email@example.com.
- Portfolio and Statement: A portfolio of art work is required which should include a variety of media in 10-15 images with statements on three (3) images. Submit the portfolio as a single document utilizing the MFTH Art Portfolio and Statements Template. Using the following format as a file name, "LastName FirstName Portfolio", please email this file as a PDF or Word doc to lgloyd@lmu. Do not email individual images.
- Online Interview:
Please read all the instructions before you begin your video recording through the SparkHire platform.
• Please click on the link to begin your online interview process: https://hire.li/a60d8be
• The link will direct you to LMU’s Marital and Family Therapy/Art Therapy Spark Hire interview website.
• Once there, click on the INTERVIEW NOW button.
• You will then be directed to confirm your information, click CONFIRM MANUALLY
• You will then be directed to create a Spark Hire account.
• From there, follow the onscreen instructions.
• You will be guided through the process of answering five interview questions. You will have an opportunity to preview and re-answer each question twice. Once you are ready to answer the question - make sure you hit record in the upper right corner of the screen.
• Once you answer a question, you will be given the opportunity to either re-answer that question or submit it before moving on to the next question. Once you submit the answer to a question, you will be unable to re-record that specific question. If you re-record an answer, the previous response to that question will have been erased.
• If you need any assistance please contact Spark Hire by clicking the CONTACT SUPPORT link at the bottom of the Spark Hire website.
- Campus Interview. Candidates who advance to an in-person interview are required to attend a weekend group interview on either Saturday, February 10 or Sunday, February 11, 2018 on the LMU campus in Los Angeles. Please mark your calendars now for this possibility.
For additional information, please read our page of Frequently Asked Questions.
Transcripts, test scores, and letters of recommendation must be sent to Graduate Admissions:
Loyola Marymount University
1 LMU Drive, Suite 1840
Los Angeles, CA 90045-2659
Prerequisite checklist, autobiography, and portfolio must be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org following the formatting instructions above.