Admissions and Audition Information
While LMU Dance is currently a modern/contemporary-centered department, we welcome students from a diversity of dance backgrounds and training. Regardless of the style or technique you choose to send us, we will be evaluating you based on similar criteria: coordination, strength, musicality and/or phrasing, and performance quality. Below, please find step by step instructions for applying and auditioning to our program.
LMU is conducting all auditions for Fall 2023 acceptance virtually.
Dance Program Tours
We are now offering in-person department tours led by some of our Dance Majors and Minors. Click HERE to register!
LMU Dance Audition Process
**Please note the audition process is only for dance majors. Dance minors do not need to audition.
Step 1: Apply to Loyola Marymount University. (link to LMU application)
Step 2: Complete the Dance Program 2022-2023 Audition Forms.
Step 3: Submit a headshot and goals statement.
Your goals statement is a brief document in paragraph or bullet point format which should include:
- Your career goals
- Where you feel you want/need to grow and develop as a dancer (performer, choreographer, teacher, etc)
Step 4: Record your audition video.
Please submit at least one of the following:
A video of yourself doing center studio work in whichever technique you feel most comfortable in (e.g. modern/contemporary, jazz, hip hop, ballet, vernacular or street styles, tap, west African, etc.)
- You may include more than one technique if you feel you have proficiency in multiple techniques that you would like display.
- If you are auditioning with improvisation, freestyle, or original choreography, please clearly indicate that on the file name or title of video.
- The recording does not have to be made in a studio, just please try to have as clean a dance area and background as you can
A video excerpt from a recent (within in last 2 years) performance.
- If you are only sending in a performance excerpt and not center studio work, the excerpt should be at least 2-3 minutes where you can be seen dancing fully and clearly. If it is an ensemble dance, indicate your costume and location so we can easily find you.
- If you are sending in a performance excerpt and center studio work, the performance excerpt should be at least 1 minute where you can be seen dancing fully and clearly.
**Note: We no longer accept DVDs or USB drives. Please see below for submission instructions.
Step 5: Schedule your 30 minute Zoom interview time slot with a Dance Program faculty member.
IMPORTANT: You CAN schedule your interview before submitting your LMU application & portfolio as long as you are planning to be a dance major.
You must register at least 24 hours in advance of your time slot. If you are unable to attend any of the timeslots listed, please email email@example.com.
- If you are applying Early Decision, you must have completed your interview by November 12, 2022.
- If you are applying Early Action, you must have completed your interview by DECEMBER 1ST, 2022.
- If you are applying Early Decision II or Regular Decision you must have completed your interview by February 4, 2023.
CLICK HERE TO SCHEDULE YOUR INTERVIEW
Audition Submission Instructions
Prospective students should submit all audition forms and videos through their Application Status Page (NOTE: You will only have access to this portal once you submit your LMU application). Please find the “Portfolio” section toward the bottom of the page and click “Edit Portfolio.” Then upload your materials under the “Upload Media” tab.
- November 1: Early Decision (binding) admission for Fall
- November 1: Early Action (non-binding) admission for Fall
- January 8: Early Decision II (binding) admission for Fall
- January 15: Regular Decision Admission for Fall
- October 1: Regular Decision admission for Spring
- February 1 (priority): Regular Decision admission for Fall
The primary difference between Early Decision (ED) and Early Action (EA) is that our Early Decision plan is binding, meaning that when a student is admitted ED (in December), they are expected to then submit their commitment deposit by January 11. Because of the binding nature of the program, you should only apply ED if you are certain that LMU is your top choice school.
If you apply Early Action (EA), we will review your application in the fall and will update you on the status of your application (either with a decision or with a deferral into the Regular Decision pool) by December. The difference with EA is that even students admitted during EA still have until May 1 to make their college decision and submit a commitment deposit.
Virtual Campus Tours: https://admission.lmu.edu/visit/
General Admissions Questions: firstname.lastname@example.org
Financial Aid: email@example.com or visit https://financialaid.lmu.edu/
Scholarships: Departmental scholarships are available to existing LMU dance students, after they have successfully completed their first semester, and on a very selective basis.
For any additional questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and we will get back to you promptly!