The Art Education Concentration is designed to create reflective, informed, caring, and capable artists who are skilled in using interpersonal and creative tools for a career in education or other related careers. Students interested in teaching the visual arts in public secondary schools and earning a State of California Single Subject Teaching Credential in Art must fulfill all the requirements for the BFA in Studio Arts (STAR) with a Concentration in Art Education (ARTE), the requirements for a minor in Education (EDUC), and the requirements for a single subject credential in Art (SECR).
A total of 76 semester hours: 34 semester hours of lower division courses and 42 semester hours of upper division courses.
34 semester hours of lower division courses: 26 semester hours of Studio Arts, 8 semester hours of Art History.
Studio Arts Foundations
- ART 1001 Foundation I 4 semester hours
- ART 1002 Foundation II 4 semester hours
- ART 1003 Foundation III 4 semester hours
- ART 1010 Freshman Workshop in Studio Arts 2 semester hours
Art Education Lower Division Requirements
- ART 2357 Painting I 4 semester hours
- BFA Exploration: ART1153 Drawing from Life 3 semester hours
- BFA Exploration: Drawing from Life Lab 1 semester hour
- Studio Arts Focus (ART 2154+ART 2188 Lab, or ART 2478, or ART 2880) 4 semester hours
- ART 2255 Field Experience in Art 0 semester hours
- ARHS 2000 Foundations of Western Art 4 semester hours
- ARHS 2002 Art and Society: Early Christian to Early Modern 4 semester hours
The Studio Arts Focus course is chosen in consultation with the Area Head of Art Education.
42 semester hours of upper division ART/ARHS courses.
- ART 3205 ARTsmart Community Service Program 0 semester hour
- ART 3250 Arts Education Approaches for Social and Emotional Learning 4 semester hours
- ART 3255 Experiencing Art and Social Justice 4 semester hours
- ART 3597 Professional Practices in Fine Arts 2 semester hours
- ART 4205 Building Community with the Arts 4 semester hours
- ART 4255 Methods in Teaching Secondary Art 4 semester hours
- ART 4950 Senior Thesis in Fine Arts 4 semester hours
- Studio Arts Upper Division elective 4 semester hours
- Intermediate Studio Arts Focus 4 semester hours
- Advanced Studio Arts Focus 4 semester hours
- ARHS 4630: Contemporary Art 4 semester hours
- ARHS Non-Western elective 4 semester hours
Choose one class from:
- ARHS 3311 Pre-Columbian Art 4 semester hours or
- ARHS 3331 Arts of Africa 4 semester hours or
- ARHS 3341 Arts of Islam 4 semester hours or
- ARHS 3351 Arts of Asia 4 semester hours or
- ARHS 4301 Arts of India 4 semester hours or
- ARHS 4303 Arts of China 4 semester hours or
- ARHS 4305 Arts of Southeast Asia 4 semester hours or
- ARHS 4307 Arts of Japan 4 semester hours or
- ARHS 4998 Special Studies 4 semester hours (if a non-Western topic is to be studied)
Studio Arts Focus courses (Intermediate and Advanced) and Upper Division elective are chosen in consultation with the Area Head of Art Education.