• Check your Registration date and time in PROWL via the “Prepare for Registration” option on the Registration Menu. Registration times are calculated by the Office of the Registrar according to the number of credit hours you have already completed. That means that courses and AP/IB exam scores you previously transferred to LMU do count in this total, but courses you have in progress do not factor into determining your registration appointment time. For that reason, it is not possible to request to adjust your registration appointment time.

  • Clear any holds you may have that prevent registration by contacting the office that placed the hold and following their instructions. If you have an Advisor’s Hold, that should be cleared after you meet with your advisor. If you have the Off-Campus Student Life Hold, please check in with that office (ocsl@lmu.edu). If you have a Controller’s Hold, check with the Student Accounts Office (studacct@lmu.edu). And if you have an Associate Dean’s Office hold, please contact Dr. Elaine Walker to schedule an appointment as soon as possible (elaine.walker@lmu.edu).

  • Review your DegreeWorks Report via PROWL. You should see your current courses included. Look over your remaining requirements carefully, and jot down any questions or concerns to bring up with your advisor.

  • Plan your upcoming semester schedule by carefully reviewing the course offerings on both versions of the Schedule of Classes. To browse all courses by department or filter by core area, view the Real-Time Schedule through myLMU. To filter the schedule by meeting time, core, flag, instructor, etc., use the search options in the Registration Menu on the Browse Classes function. It’s best to use both methods of viewing the schedule to make sure you are seeing all of your options.

    We don’t recommend using the Browse Course Catalog option. That will search the entire course catalog of LMU, not necessarily the classes being offering in the upcoming semesters.

  • Meet with your Academic Advisor(s) at least a few days before your registration appointment time.  Your advisor may have changed from Orientation and/or last semester! Check your current advisor’s name on PROWL (it’s also at the top of your DegreeWorks), and look up their contact information in the Campus Directory. If you have a second major or minor, you may have an advisor to help you plan for that as well. If you don’t see that additional advisor’s name, contact the chairperson of that department to find out who it is.

  • Register as close to your appointment time as you can, for best course availability.

    Review your finalized schedule. Make sure all courses show “Registered” as the status, and print and/or save it just in case!

  • If you’ve chosen to waitlist yourself for a course, remember that you must check your LION email for the notification that a space has opened for you in the course (we recommend at least once per day during the registration period). One you’ve received that notification, you have only 24 hours to go back into the Registration menu to change the status to “registered” — it will not happen automatically. If you miss that 24-hour window, you must re-add yourself to the waitlist from its end.

  • All students in good standing may register in up to 18 units during registration. Full-time enrollment is a minimum of 12 units. As you know, you may be enrolling in a combination of 3- and 4-unit courses, for a range of 12-18 units total/ 4-6 classes total (or more, if you’re a Dance or Music major).

    Please carefully consider your experiences in the past. Each student’s learning style is different.  Everyone has different times of the day in which they are more focused for concentrating in class. Everyone has different extracurricular activities and responsibilities. You know what you can handle and what your resources are when your coursework becomes overwhelming. Talk to your advisor about your options about spreading out the 4-unit core courses through the upcoming semesters. And remember too, the “goal” is not to complete the University Core as quickly as possible; it is designed so that students take one or two core courses only per semester.

  • Requests for Unit Overload (more than 18 units) will be granted on a case-by-case basis for legitimate academic reasons (such as having a double major, and/or being in your senior year). Unit Overload is typically not available to students in their first semester at LMU (freshmen and transfers). University guidelines require a GPA of 3.50 in order to be eligible to request Unit Overload, but exceptions may be made in unique cases (for instance, if Spring is the student’s last semester before graduation).

    If granted, the Registrar can allow Unit Overload for those students with permission, two weeks before the start of the semester (Fall/Spring). There is no additional tuition charge for Unit Overload (unless, of course, the extra class has a lab fee).

    Access the form at the online Registrar Portal Services.

  • A reminder that current students are not permitted to enroll in classes outside of LMU during the Winter break or the Fall or Spring semester, even if the class is taught online. You may enroll in regular/classroom or online classes at other institutions in the Summer only after receiving an approved Transfer Course Review from the Registrar and CFA’s Assistant Dean, Dr. Elaine Walker.

  • You are required to enroll in RHET 1000 or FFYS 1000 in the Spring semester — the course out of those two that you did not complete the previous Fall. We will be checking every freshman’s schedule to ensure that they have registered in the appropriate course. In the unlikely event that you do not pass First Year Seminar or Rhetorical Arts in the Fall (the one you are enrolled in), you will be required to repeat it the following Spring. You should not plan to take both FFYS 1000 and RHET 1000 in the same semester.

  • You are eligible to participate in the May Commencement Ceremony if you are planning to complete all of your degree requirements by the previous or the subsequent December 31. If you are planning to graduate (complete all degree requirements) in May, August, or December, and/or participate in the May commencement ceremony, your Application for Degree is due to the Registrar no later than the Friday of the first week of the Spring semester.

    In order to be listed as “Pending for Graduation,” your DegreeWorks report must reflect completion of all requirements by your graduation date. You must submit the appropriate forms (ex. Graduation Plan, Transfer Course Approval, Petition for Degree Audit Adjustment) to account for whatever might be missing or not met. Check your DegreeWorks Report now to avoid any surprises when you turn in your application form. Contact your academic advisor with any questions about your DegreeWorks, or the Registrar for any questions or concerns about the actual graduation ceremony and degree clearance process. The Application for Degree online form is found on the “Forms” page of the Registrar’s website.