The Theatre Arts Major supports the goals and objectives of Loyola Marymount University by offering an academically rigorous undergraduate education in the humanities. The excellence of the academic and professional standards of the theatre program is confirmed by the accreditation awarded to the theatre major by the National Association of Schools of Theatre (NAST). The Theatre Arts Department is also affiliated with the Theatre Communications Group (TCG) and the California Theatre Educational Association (CETA). The study of theatre engages the whole person (body, mind and spirit) and encourages students to see their studies in a broad social, ethical and cultural context. The program approaches the study of theatre with the view that theatre is a laboratory for the study of the whole of life.
Diversity & Inclusiveness
"Inclusive excellence and interculturalism are fundamental to our Loyola Marymount University mission to provide holistic educational experiences that prepare our students to be women and men for and with others." - President Timothy Law Snyder, Ph.D
- To promote academic excellence through courses and a season of productions that reflect balance and diversity. The Theatre program maintains a balance between pre-professional training and a liberal arts education.
- To live an institutional commitment to Roman Catholicism and the Judeo-Christian tradition. The season of theatre reflects the Jesuit and Marymount tradition of a liberal education, social justice and intellectual inquiry.
- To provide a liberal education. The Theatre Arts Program has a strong presence in the University Core Curriculum and in interdisciplinary courses.
- To foster a student-centered University. The Theatre faculty offer academic and career counseling.
- To create a sense of community on campus. The Theatre Arts Program provides a rich season of theatrical productions to the students, staff and faculty of LMU.
- To participate actively in the life of the larger community. The students may intern in equity and equity-waiver theatre. Some courses involve theatre-going in Los Angeles. The surrounding community is a welcome visitor to Theatre productions.